A wonderful pair of English, early 20th century, tiled side tables, in bleached oak, retaining the original labels and wonderful tiles, with a lovely colour, that will bright any room.
This charming, and practical pair of side, tiled tables, will work well in most settings.
England Circa 1900/1920s "
57.2 cms High (22.5 inches)
97.8 cms Wide (38.5 inches)
52.7 cms Deep (20.75 inches)
The public room outfit on the liner QE 2was undertaken by Parnall & Sons ofFishponds
Parnall & Sons manufactured the interior of Bristol Britannia airliners
By the 1880s Parnall & Sons was the largest shop fitting company in England with showrooms in Narrow Wine Street and Fairfax Street, a scale works at Fishponds and branches in London and Swansea. The scales and weighing machines produced at the Fishponds foundry on Parnall Road included the hardy Patent Agate Hand Scales and the Patent National Balances invented by Mr Parnall, which sold 20,000 in 10 years. In 1889 the company expanded into shopfronts, including glasswork and iron architecture and had over 400 employees. By the 1890s "there is hardly a city or town in Great Britain where their productions are not known and appreciated". Weighing machine production was phased out after W & T Avery Ltd. was associated and the company concentrated on its well known shop-front business. The foundry was later sold to George Adlam & Sons the iron founders and brewers engineers.
During the First World War the company started manufacture of aeroplanes and seaplanes, producing over 600 by 1918. George Geach Parnallleft the company soon afterwards, who eventually went on to form Parnall Aircraft Ltd and successfully continued aircraft design and manufacture elsewhere in Bristol.
1 Between the wars
2 The Second World War
3 Post war
Between the wars
In 1923, Parnall & Sons Ltd moved to Lodge Causeway, Fishponds, in Bristol into a former factory of the Cosmos Engineering aeroengines company. The company resumed manufacture of shopfronts, including the bronze shopfronts and display cases in Piccadilly Circus tube station and steel canopies at the Savoy Hotel and the Shakespeare Memorial Theatre in Stratford-on-Avon.
High profile work included the internal fittings for passenger liners, including the outfit of the Tourist class dining room on the RMS Britannicbuilt at Harland & Wolff for the White Star Line in the late 1920s. In addition they also branched out into refrigerated and cold storage units, executive office furniture, and gained expertise in the fabrication of plastics leading to the formation of a plastics division.
The Second World War
During the WW2 Tiger Moth wings were built by Parnall & Sons
Once again the Air Ministry turned to the company for aircraft manufacturing, and the factory in Fishponds produced airframe components and fuselage sections in metal and wood for a range of RAF and FAA aircraft.
Manufacture throughout the war years included wings for De Havilland Tiger Moth and Airspeed Oxford trainers, wing flaps for Fairey Barracudatorpedo-bombers and Handley Page Halifax heavy bombers, fuselages for Shorts Stirling heavy bombers and Airspeed Horsa gliders, and tail planes for Bristol Beaufighter heavy fighter.
Venom fuselages were built in the Parnall factory inFishponds
Similar aircraft component work also continued after the war with contracts for the manufacture of fuselages in the late 1940s and 50s for the de Havilland Venom, a jet single-seat fighter-bomber. Work continued with interior finishings for Bristol Britannia airliners up until 1960, which then exploited the new materials available, such as plastic. In the late 1940s, the company turned its hand to supplying the new supermarket industry, producing metal shelving and display units.
Fittings contracts continued in the luxury market including contracts for 10 Downing Street, Buckingham Palace, the Houses of Parliament. Most famous of all was the production and installation of the internal fittings for public rooms onboard the Cunard Ocean Liner QE 2 in 1960s.
In 1979, Parnall & Sons was bought by GEC, who subsequently sold the company to CH Holdings. The factory suffered a couple of unfortunate fires and went into receivership in May 1991 after over 170 years of trading in Bristol.
The factory was demolished in 1992 and the site is now occupied by ALD Automotive car retailers.
^ Bristol Information: List All Businesses Retrieved on 26 November 2007.
^ Histories of Bristol Companies: Parnalls of Fishponds Retrieved on 26 November 2007.
^ The Transport Archives: Brazil Straker Building – Fishponds Retrieved on 27 November 2007.